Monday 18 April 2011

WordFest Crawley and Christine Mustchin

Looking back at last two posts I am reminded that I planned to list what I had learnt from my experience of self-publishing and in particular self-publishing fiction. 1 The advice you read in books and journals is largely right - pay heed. 2 Don't expect to make money - you are more likely to make a loss given the retail discounting that you will inevitably encounter. 3 Don't expect to be 'discovered'. It rarely happens. 4 Research how you want to self-publish and choose your mentors/assistants wisely - beware vanity publishers . 5 Don't expect everyone to like what you have written or give you good reviews (if you can get them). 6 Enjoy the positives - you had control of everything about publishing your book so any compliments are all the more valuable (even if you did get help/support along the way). 7 Learn to enjoy your book signing. My first Waterstone's signing was a steep learning curve but I was given valuable advice about how to engage with potential customers and have subsequently valued my other several signings. 8 Keep faith with yourself - much harder when you do not have an agent but essential. 9 Keep planning for the future and always, always be professional. Christine Mustchin based on her experience of self-publishing From Nemesis Island.

No comments:

Post a Comment