Monday 16 August 2010

Christine Mustchin - of politeness and promotion

Reflections on how to say no today. Something I experienced when I was managing a medical education centre. The best way I always found was to be firm but kind in your manner and sometimes regretful that things could not be otherwise. I always tried not to be condescending or arrogant. I was reminded of this by a gentle refusal to take on my book by an independent bookshop in London. I went away feeling positive rather than demoralised - not always the case as I have discovered elsewhere.

Thinking ahead to the book signing on 28 August. I went along to Waterstone's on Saturday to see how they had set up the signing for that week's Saturday author only to discover that she had already left. To be fair the signing was scheduled from 1200 -1600 and I arrived at 1630. Obviously not everybody inflicts a 1100-1700 regime on themselves as I have chosen to do. Saw a pile of books not sold but I guess they have to over order just in case. Checking my book sales online I saw a jump of 50 books which I assume is what Waterstone's have ordered for me. I think 8 books an hour optimistic but I'll do my best. I spent time in the shop looking at those who came in. The demographics look okay for my book but engaging people without hassling them will be a challenge. I wonder if I could bring in some sweeties to tempt them over to the stand. I'll certainly produce some bookmarks as it's good to have something to give people for their time.

Sunday I wrote my article for Writers' News. I used it as a chance to set down my own views on what I am trying to achieve in writing From Nemesis Island. I'll let it mature a bit and then send it off. Otherwise I had a look at the beginning of the next novel. It was so good to get back to writing and creating your own universe again. A bit of typing to do and then I'll try and get going properly again. Christine Mustchin.

No comments:

Post a Comment